[cr-india] Community Radio and the Copyright (Amendment) Act 2012

sajan venniyoor venniyoor at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 02:50:44 CDT 2013

Thanks, Ram.

I agree it would have been useful to have CR listed as a separate category
of broadcaster under the Copyright (Amendment) Act or Rules 2013 but, as
you have said in your note, neither the Act nor the Rules make any
distinction between "different kinds of radio broadcasters". Still, in
operational terms, a differential royalty structure is as good recognizing
different categories of broadcasters. The 2013 Rules do say that the Board
should consider:

7(c) different rates for different nature of use of work;
(d) the prevailing standards of royalties with regard to such works;
(e) the terms and conditions included in the Grant of Permission Agreement
(GOPA) between Ministry of Information and Broadcasting and the broadcaster
for Operating
Frequency Modulation (FM) Radio Broadcasting Service; and
(f) such other matters as may be considered relevant by the Board.

That should adequately meet our case. Also, in the matter of determining
royalties, #31: "The Board shall [...] on receipt of a request from any
interested person, give public notice of its intention to fix royalties for
communication to the public of literary or musical work and sound recording
under section 31 D."

We are interested persons. It is high time we approached the Copyright
Board (Chairman: Justice Ramesh Chandra Chopra, *retd.*) or the Registrar
of Copyrights, as the case may be, and requested a separate royalty regime
/ tariff structure for CR.

warm regards,
Sajan