[cr-india] Community Radio could have helped thousands in Uttarakhand

Zahir Koradia zahir.koradia at gmail.com
Sat Jun 22 06:30:47 CDT 2013

Hi All,
We at Gram Vaani are planning to set up free Mobile Vaani instances for
each of the three CR stations in the flood affected region.

For the benefit of those who dont know what Mobile Vaani is, it is
essentially a socail media platform that runs over phone calls.
- People can call in and record messages. This facility can be used by
people to call in and let others know of situation in their localities. CR
stations can broadcast this information to their listeners.
- People can call in and listen to the recorded messages and other audio
"uploaded" by the CR station. This facility can be used to provide
information to others at a time of convenience to the callers.

The key advantage here is that Mobile Vaani is not limited by broadcast
range as it works one phone calls. So potentially the whole of the flood
affected area could use the service and not just people around the
stations. More details about Mobile Vaani is present on our website (
www.gramvaani.org) and there is a video also available at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci2qUTs5NCo#at=177

While we are in the process of setting up the technology pieces and
coordinating with the CR stations, I am writing here to get people on this
forum to provide suggestions on how such a platform could be used by the
stations. Volunteers could also handhold stations through the ideas
discussed on the list.

Hopefully, some affirmative action will put our energies, currently going
towards frustration, to better use.

Thanks,
Zahir